Friday, April 3, 2009

Three Cups of Tea

When I first read the introduction of Mortenson by the author, I was very curious about learning about someone who can be "one of the most underqualified" and yet still overachieving. The author describes him as someone amazing who has done great things in his life, but it was humbling to see that the book begins with Mortenson's failure and how this failure allowed him to become the person he is today. In chapter 1, the author describes how Mortenson is able to "wear down a congressmen...reluctant philanthropist...[and even] an Afghan warlord." I was surprised by his abilities to speak and convince other people. I thought that chapter 2 was very interesting because it describes Mortenson's story of survival and it also begins the imagery of tea that recurs throughout the book. Because Mortenson felt indebted to these people who lived in poverty, he began to help them by giving away his belongings and promising to build them a school. When I read that these childrens' desire to learn reminded him of his little sister Christa, I realized that Mortenson found a goal, something he truly wanted to achieve no matter what hardships or obstacles may come his way. When Khan tells Mortenson at the end of the book, "Every rock, every bolder... We must turn these stones into schools" Mortenson was able to see the rest of his life and what he must do in his future. This was such a powerful imagery for me because I don't know what it is like to have a true purpose in life and a true passion for something that I believe in. I admire Mortenson for being able to find his purpose, his goal, and his means of achieving both. I hope that someday I will be able to find mine and achieve them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment