Sunday, April 5, 2009

Three Cups of Tea

The first thing I have to say about this novel is wow this guy gets lost a lot. However this turned out to be a good thing. The story is very compelling and really touches the heart.  I admire Mr. Mortenson for going back to Korphe and keeping his promise.  He went through a lot to keep his promise and I feel that in the end it was more than worth it.  I cannot even begin to imagine the difficulties that the people building the school had to go through to accomplish their task of building a school.

My only problem with this book is that it seems to focus an awful lot on the scenery.  I understand that this is to give the reader an idea as to what these people have lived through, but it was not what I was expecting.  What I was expecting was something a bit more like a journal that described what Mr. Mortenson had gone through, not a travel brochure.

The experience reminds me very loosely of a mission trip I went on to Mexico.  We were sent there to build houses for the people living there.  When we arrived I was shocked, how could anyone live there? But as time went on and we got to know the people, and we build their houses, I realized that even though these people lived in squalor they were very bright and worked hard for what they had.  In the end it felt really good to know that we were making a difference in their lives by building these houses for them.

1 comment: